KLEAR has developed an atmosphere and a teaching methodology based on the principles of Paulo Freire and Carl Rogers. In practical terms, this means it is a supportive, accessible, friendly place for students who invariably settle into and enjoy the learning.
When learning and friendliness combine, they create a setting very different to the memories some adults have of their schooldays. Tutors are interviewed for their suitability for the specialised job of working with adults on a basis of equality and mutual respect.
KLEAR aims to reflect in its provision the following principles:
- To provide a second chance for those who missed out first time round;
- To operate in a supportive atmosphere that is non-formal, non-competitive and non-threatening;
- To provide appropriate and flexible progression routes;
- To give equal respect to all types of intelligence;
- To value each level of learning equally;
- To be a place where adults can find personal and emotional space.